Friday, October 20, 2006

Where has the time gone?

well, what a crazy time it has been, the summer just seemed to have flew by and September/October is doing the same thing.

Sunshine is settled into her new school and she seems to like it. She has been trying different things, and is always up for a challenge. She tried out for the cross country team and was quite happy that she did not make it. She is also in the school choir and loves it. She seems to gravitate to the musical side of life which is kind of wild because her dad and I do not play an instrument. It is in the family though, one of her grandfathers is a director of a choir, and she had a great grand-mother who sang in a choir. Sunshine is very artsy, and keeps telling us she wants to be a doctor. I dunno, sometimes she is so artistically bent that it is hard to see her as a doctor. Hey - maybe she will be the singing/violin playing doctor!

Its funny thinking back to when you were young and what you dreamed of being when you grew up. I always imagined I would be a lawyer. I can remember when I was young ,being in our car driving to our grandparents house 3 hours away, and be fighting with my siblings. At some point we/I would be defending the other sibling to our parents and having my dad say "Stay out of it, you are not their lawyer!" Guess we liked to argue in the car when we went for a long drive somewhere! Of course, this was the time before portable dvd/cd players, so the only entertainment you had was bugging your siblings, which resulted in driving your parents crazy.

Growing up we drove everywhere. I guess it was cheaper than flying (there were five of us), so it was a lot of quality time as a family in the car. At the time I was not wild about it, but now that I think back, I cherish those memories. It was family time, we told stores, we told jokes and we sang in the car. I am sure our parents found out a lot more about us during those times in the car, then at any other time.


So maybe the next time we go for a long drive, maybe I will "hide" the portable dvd player so we can enjoy each others company!

1 Comments:

Blogger david C said...

yeah... I have some fond memories of road trips.

The three of us are going on a roadtrip this jan-feb to florida. Perhaps it is the start of a new family tradition.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home