Friday, December 30, 2005

Being social

Poking my head up from all the christmas stuff and yes I am still alive. Family has headed home and we have wound down just a bit after our visit. Why is it we try to get as much in as we can during the christmas break and then spend a whole solitary time from January until spring?

Today we are going out to spend an afternoon with former co-workers of my spouse. We have not seen these people in years and I must admit that I am not looking forward to it. When it was suggested weeks ago, I thought yeah that might be fun, but now I am aprehensive. Why? Well I find that as I am getting older and not going out of the house to work, I am becoming more hermit like. Sometimes I just don't want to make the effort in idle chit chat. I find it is not something I am good at, nor do I want to. Also women don't know what to say to you when they ask you the question I dread the most. The "What do you do" question. They just seem to not know what to do with "I am at home". They all say that they wish they could be home and then seem to can't wait to move on to chat to someone else. Then they all wonder why I am at home when I have a child who is in grade 3 and no other little preschoolers running around.

When did society change so much that it makes women uncomfortable to have to justify why they are at home? Why should I? I guess because I don't, it just makes people uncomfortable. Sometimes I think some people define themselves too much in what they do for a living.

So, I guess the question of the day is who are you?

I am Alice, a happily married women, with one child, who likes to get the most out of life that she can

1 Comments:

Blogger david C said...

We are looking forward having children and spending time with them. I believe that the more time that we can spend with our children, the better adults they will eventually make.

So who cares if you have chosen to stay at home, it is more important work. Besides, the blind ambition to own materialistic goods makes two people work. In my view family is a more noble cause than a bigger TV.

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home