Thursday, November 17, 2005

I am

a yarn junkie!

I am a knitter and my current project that I am knitting is a sweater for my sister for christmas. It is a hot pink sweater with a hood and she knows she is getting it, but has not seen it. That will have to wait for christmas morning.

I love yarn, I love the colors, I love the textures and I love the different kinds of yarn that there are out there. Wool, acrylic, linen, cotton and I can't wait to try knitting with bamboo yarn. I have lots of yarn. I am sure it drives my spouse crazy cuz it is all over the place.

My grandmother was a knitter, she would knit some things for us. She would always knit 3 socks, or mittens because when we lost one of them, we always had a spare. I can remember one Christmas, my brother, sister and I each got a crochet afghan. When we opened up the packages we could smell the colt wine tipped cigars that my grandfather smoked. I can see her in my mind's eye knitting or crocheting something in front to the tv while watching Jeopardy. She always had something on the go, she was a Red Cross knitter, they would send her yarn and she would knit up hats, scarves, mitts, and afghans and they would send it up north to those in need. I can remember seeing the huge boxes in their basement, and they were full of knitted goods, ready to go.

My mother inlaw knits, and she is a beautiful knitter. Whenever I am stuck, I give her a call and she sorts me out. When my inlaws visit her and I go to the yarn shop. It is an hour of sharing a passion that we have in common. I aspire for my work to be as good as hers.


thougth for the day

Life is like knitting, you take it one stitch at a time and before you know it, you have something beautiful

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home