Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Halloween is .....

Sunshines favorite time of year. In fact, if you ask her what her favorite holiday is in the whole year, she will tell you without hesitation that it is Halloween. She has ALWAYS been like that. Don't think christmas is not popular, it is, and she is totally up for it, but there is something about Halloween, and it is just not getting the candy.

So imagine my stress when it comes to Sunshine and costumes.

The first year she went out, she was a yellow M&M. Now I don't sew, in fact sewing causes me a huge great deal of stress. I am a wing it kind of girl, and it shows in whatever I do. For example, when I cook - I always change the recipe, and whenever I knit from a pattern, I change it, be it the texture of the yarn, the color of the yarn or even some of the pattern if I am so inclined. So since sewing is a most precise discipline, and I am an eyeball kind of girl, it really tests my patience and precision.

So with this in mind, my mom helped make Sunshine's M&M costume. I was so thankful for her help. The next couple of years I got off easy because she was in her princess phase of life and off to the Disney store we went. One year we were soo keen to have her be Snow White because she could have been a living version of her, but she would not budge, Belle she was going to be. Even the Disney store sales people kept telling her she was the perfect snow white, but noooo Belle she was.

Then came the Harry Potter year, and low and behold, I have to sew. I ended up having to make a cape with logo, and with a huge portion of help from my best girlfriend, a Hermione costume was had. Now last year, my mom gave my sunshine a book about fairy costumes for her birthday in March. All year she dreamt of being a Poppy Fairy. Well back to my best friend I went, and a Tulle skirt happened and I made wings (delicate darn things) and I talked her into some fancy shirt she had.

Fast forward to this year. A blue Alien. Yep she wants to be a Blue Alien, not a vampire (could have re-used the cape), not a ghost but a blue alien. So far I have managed to get out of sewing, but I am not out of the woods yet. Plus the costume has to be done for Thursday night because of a party she is going to. Yep, no stress here! I am going to need the chocolate by the time the 31st rolls around.

Question of the day
Are you sure you don't like this princess costume hunny? It could fit ya know!

2 Comments:

Blogger david C said...

Ever thought of using spray paint?

12:41 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Funny Dave :D

Think we have the costume ready. Test run is tomorrow night. She wants to win a prize for best costume. I don't think we will qualify, but I will let her think we will.

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home